So you want to make a game...


When I was about 11 years old, I stumbled across another blogspot blog titled AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), and that set me off on a journey that lead to me learning game maker, making hundreds of small projects in it, realizing I hated doing pixel art, learning 3D design and Unreal Engine, before accepting I couldn't make a game that was as good as Call of Duty by myself, then finally abandoning all of it for the next year or so.

I have since worked on many small game design teams, trying my hand at almost everything, and have seen projects I have worked on both fail and "succeeded." I put succeeded in quotes because while some of the projects finished and put of for download, they never really became anything. That said, I haven't worked on a shipped project since Steam's Greenlight service was implemented, so people discovering our games and dealing with the often sketchy as all hell custom storefronts we used probably contributed to that problem a ton.


Trying to do my own games, and working for a colorful assortment of other people and team structures has taught me a lot about what works, and what doesn't and in the next part I will give you a list of some of the things to pay attention to in order to make sure your game isn't just another casualty in the world of indie development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacking Bitsy to run AI PT. 1: Getting to know Bitsy

Hacking Bitsy to run AI PT. 2: Ghosts N Stuff

Write Ups